Finally, we change over to more easy readable URLs (=internet addresses, please check Wikipedia for further information) that are going to be loved by search engines. Example: The URL of a page called "about me" was the following until now: name.jimdo.comc/about_me.php. From now on, it'll be name.jimdo.com/about-me/. Pages on the second navigation level will be included in the new URLs, e.g. name.jimdo.com/about-me/friends/.
- For search engines, it's much easier to find these URLs - so the chance that your website is found, increases (the SEOs among you will be happy about that news! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization)
- Looks better and is easier in all ways - If you send the link via email to friends, if you integrate the link on another page of your website or if you tell somebody a link on the phone...
- Info for the pros: URL encoding in UTF-8
Before and after – comparison
Let's assume that the navigation of your website is the following:
What do I have to consider?
First, the most important thing is: Even though the links of your page will change - the old links will still work fine.
Example: Your page name.jimdo.com/sailing.php will change into name.jimdo.com/sailing/ - Friends and Google only know the previous link. But we built it in a way that they are redirected automatically to name.jimdo.com/sailing/. Your friends might not notice the change, but Google recognizes it at once and saves the new link at once (for pros: 301 moved permanently).
You should consider that pages in the second navigation level repeat the name of top page. Example: /skitrip.php changes into /trips/skitrip/ -> check if you like the names of your pages. Otherwise, name them whatever you want to.
When and how are the changes made?
- All new websites get the new names immediately.
- The URLs of older websites are changed directly at the moment, if you change the navigation.
- Within the next weeks, we'll change all existing pages to the new name scheme.
We're looking forward to receiving your feedback!
All the best,
Your Jimdo Team
P.S. Of course, we tested everything in detail, but sometimes we overlook something. So if you should notice any errors or any noticeable problems, please let us know and write an email to email@example.com - THANKS!