How do you browse online? Many of us have several tabs open while we’re working (and checking social media and the latest news). So any time a visitor comes to your website, you’ve probably already beaten Netflix, Twitter, and Wikipedia in an attention battle. Well done, you!
Now, you can make your website stand out even more with your own favicon!
The favicon is that little icon that appears in a browser tab. It may look small but it has a big impact on your visibility. Even with a 100 browser tabs open, your favicon helps customers instantly recognize your website.
Build trust with a favicon
Uploading a favicon that matches your brand adds an extra level of trust to your website. It’s a detail that tells visitors you’re running a trustworthy and professional company.
When we visit websites many of us look for more than just ‘https’ in the address bar. We look for signs that we’ve come to the right place. A favicon that matches the company branding or logo is an additional indicator that this is not a cheap, scam copy of your website but the real deal.
Design the perfect favicon
Adding a favicon grabs visitors’ attention for your website by prominently showing your brand. For most brands using their logo as a favicon is the obvious choice; as a company logo is designed specifically to represent a brand in one image.
If you use your logo as a favicon we suggest sticking to these rules:
- Use a simple logo: A stylized graphic works fantastically as a favicon. Apple and Twitter are nice examples.
- Use part of a detailed logo: If your logo is more intricate, consider using a detail from your logo. It’s what The North Face does (and it’s what Jimdo does as well).
But you can also use other images as your favicon. Your website will stand out most if your image has:
- Bright colors: Bold colors draw attention and that’s exactly what your favicon should do. Good examples of brands that use bold color are Windows, Coca-Cola, and YouTube.
- Simplicity: Instead of a detailed image, try using a simple icon or even just the first letter of your brand. A nice example is the “G” on Google’s website.
How to add a favicon
After logging in on your Grow or Start website you can now add your favicon the same way you edit other parts of your website: just click (or tap) and go.
The best part is you just need to upload the image you want to use. Dolphin automatically converts and scales your image to the right format and size. You can forget about image formats that you’ve never heard of. Do you use many .ico files for your images? Neither do we!
Add a favicon in 3 simple steps:
- Click the icon in the example browser tab in Jimdo.
- Upload any square image of at least 260 x 260 pixels to use it as a favicon.
- Publish your website to apply the changes.
It really is that simple!
Are you ready to add a favicon to your website? Log in now and make your website even more iconic!