Jimdo Community Standards
We know legal texts can be complicated, so we’ve put together a summary of our Community Standards for you.
Please note that the summary is just a small part of our Community Standards. It doesn’t replace the Community Standards in any way and is not legally binding.
Jimdo’s community standards
Jimdo is an easy-to-use website builder that allows you to create logos and websites. We want to empower small businesses and give you the chance to get creative, expand your reach and generate growth.
Jimdo has already helped build over 20 million websites. Each one is just as unique as the person behind it. At Jimdo, we’re aware of our responsibility and want all users to have the freedom to flourish.
However, this freedom does have boundaries when people breach laws, endanger children and infringe the rights of third parties.
Consequently, we’ve drawn up our community standards, which apply to all Jimdo customers worldwide and specify the type of content that isn’t accepted.
I. Intact physical and mental health
Jimdo supports universal human rights. This includes recognizing the inviolability of human dignity and, therefore, ensuring that physical and mental health remains intact.
Therefore, Jimdo websites must never put physical and mental health at risk, or publish, encourage, or incite people to do so. This constraint covers the following content in particular:
- Promoting and glorifying self-harm, such as eating disorders and suicides,
- Encouraging and glamourizing sexual exploitation,
- Showing violence or abuse, or inciting others to commit such acts,
- Showing and encouraging harassment, bullying, infringing people’s rights (e.g. doxing).
II. Illegal and fraudulent business activities
Jimdo offers a platform as a vehicle for conducting business that is fair and lawful. Illegal business practices are not permitted, and we will remove content facilitating these as soon as it is discovered.
Hard drugs and narcotics
Hard drugs and narcotics are all substances defined in article 1, section 1 in conjunction with annexes I to III of the German Controlled Substances Act (BtMG).
What’s more, new psychoactive substances (known as legal highs) like bath salts and herbal mixtures, certain plants and herbal products like peyote cacti, coca tea and mushrooms containing psilocybin (known as magic mushrooms), as well as items used to produce narcotics or legal highs, are prohibited.
In particular, Jimdo websites may not be used for the following purposes:
- To enable or encourage dealing in or procuring hard drugs,
- To pass on information and plans as well as recipes explaining how to make hard drugs and narcotics,
- To trivialize or actively promote and advertise the consumption of hard drugs and narcotics.
Weapons and dangerous objects
We define weapons as firearms or any equally dangerous objects. Any portable objects whose purpose, or the nature of their design, especially blunt or sharp items (see article 1, section 2 of the German Weapons Act [WaffG]) is to harm people, are considered weapons. These items also include accessories to and parts of weapons, especially ammunition as well as replicas and explosives, Airsoft guns, flick knives, or fixed-blade knives with blades of more than 12 cm in length (see article 42a WaffG) and instructions on how to make weapons (for example via 3D printing).
Therefore, Jimdo websites may not be used to promote, sell, purchase, swap, make or otherwise procure these types of weapons or dangerous items.
Endangered flora and fauna
At Jimdo, we strive to treat our planet and its fauna and flora sustainably and with respect. We place a high priority on preserving the Earth in all its diversity for future generations. As a result, animals and plants must be protected.
For this reason, we prohibit websites that offer the sale or procurement in any other way of the following animal and plant species or related objects:
- Items made using animals at risk of extinction (see
<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Listed Animals (fws.gov) Appendix</span>),
- Ivory or bones from animals hunted for their ivory, including tusks, elk ivory, fossil ivory, and mammoth ivory,
- Services managing the poaching of endangered species.
Regulated sale of goods and special services
Users may not use their Jimdo website to offer the following products and services:
- CBD (cannabidiol),
- Products similar to tobacco (e.g. liquids, chewing tobacco, snuff, etc.) and devices intended for these purposes (e.g. e-cigarettes, vape pens, etc.),
- Sexual services of any kind.
Trading in, paying with, or mining cryptocurrencies
As cryptocurrencies are frequently used in conjunction with illegal business, users are not allowed to offer virtual currencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum and other cryptocurrencies, as well as contracts to mine virtual currencies on their websites.
Jimdo websites may not be used to make, circulate, sell or advertise forged documents or publish instructions on how to produce them.
This constraint covers the following in particular:
- Forgeries of vaccination or other health-related certificates,
- Identity cards or documents,
- Drivers licenses,
- Certificates of any professional qualifications.
Fraudulent acts and anti-competitive behavior
Jimdo encourages fair and open competition and prohibits practices that prevent or distort competition. Furthermore, consumers and business owners must be protected from fraudsters.
Therefore, the following types of Jimdo websites are prohibited:
- Those that harm businesses or consumers by deceiving them about certain aspects and taking advantage of them as a result,
- Those that offer pyramid and snowball schemes, multi-level marketing programs, or similar,
- Those that offer games of chance, lottery and roulette systems, and sports betting,
- Those that are used to send unsolicited advertising or spam (including but not limited to: unsolicited and nuisance advertising via e-mail, chain letters, and content for SEO or search engine spam),
- Those used to download or otherwise distribute files, or programs containing viruses, trojans, keyloggers, or other malware which can hamper the operation of hardware, software, or other telecommunications devices,
- Those that sell software and services used to send spam emails, or collect e-mail addresses,
- Those used to illegally obtain login details and/or passwords for other websites, software, or services (i.e. phishing),
- Those used to capture, upload, or otherwise provide access to credit card details, or other types of banking information, personal contact details, such as phone numbers, e-mail lists and addresses, social security numbers, and similar types of confidential information,
- Those that sell items or content that artificially inflate social media presence (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc.) through clicks, visits, likes or subscribers,
- Those that offer items or content associated with membership accounts, vouchers, coupons, codes, virtual time credits, allegedly premium or VIP access,
- Those that offer items or content associated with file-sharing or contain links for content on file-sharing platforms.
III. Criminal and abusive content
Jimdo is committed to ensuring its community members engage in a respectful, non-violent, and non-discriminatory way with each other. We will not tolerate websites that violate these principles and which may even be liable to criminal prosecution. Where warranted, we will report them to the police.
Hate speech and fake news
We encourage a wide range of opinions, are liberal-minded and tolerant. We’re aware that opinions can differ. We are committed to open debate and support broad discourse.
In the process, people’s dignity may not be harmed, or certain groups and minorities denigrated, ostracised, hounded or other people be incited to commit violence against them.
Consequently, the following content is not tolerated on websites:
- Insults, slander, defamation of character, hatred, agitation, and threats of violence or incitement to violence (hate speech),
- Claims that have proven to be false, or lies about scientific, political, or other issues, as well as misleading information and assertions that endanger the public good (i.e. fake news). This constraint covers the following in particular:
- Disinformation about medical aspects of people’s physical health (e.g. deliberately spreading false information about the alleged impact of vaccines),
- Allegations that the Federal Republic of Germany does not exist and that its institutions must be fought against (i.e. so-called Reichsbürger in Germany and sovereign citizens in other countries),
- Conspiracy theories (both those that are potentially dangerous, or have been proved to be untrue).
Protecting children and young people
Children and young people require special protection. Online access can mean that children and young people view content that is dangerous, and they could even become victims of violence or (sexual) abuse themselves.
As a company that helps to shape some of the online worlds, we feel we have a special responsibility towards children and young people and therefore take decisive action against the following websites:
- Those that publish, disseminate, or offer pornographic content of children and/or young people for sale,
- Those that explain how to sexually abuse children,
- Those that sell sex dolls that resemble children,
- Those that include media showing minors who are not fully clothed, or any model photos and videos of minors in general,
- Those that include content that breaches the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child,
- Those that publish drawings, animations, or drawings of other types showing children and young people that meet the above-mentioned criteria.
Nazi ideology and content that sows dissent
Nazi ideology and behaviors aimed at disturbing public peace are not reconcilable with Jimdo’s values. We condemn any glorification or trivialization of the Nazi regime and take decisive action against the publication of any content of this type.
The following content, products, or comparable products are not tolerated on Jimdo websites:
- Medals or badges associated with the Nazi dictatorship, or other decorations belonging to Nazi organizations (e.g. Condor Legion badges and armbands),
- Any items or content with a picture of Adolf Hitler and other major Nazi functionaries, as well as items with a swastika or other symbols in contravention of the German constitution,
- Any items or content with symbols that are classified as being in breach of the German constitution,
- Any items or content refuting the genocide of European Jews and other ethnic groups, the events that took place in concentration camps, or that glorify or trivialize these,
- Books and other media with discriminatory and degrading content concerning Nazi ideologies and expansion policies on the part of the National Socialists (including unannotated versions of Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf book and other publications that glorify war),
- Items or content that glamourize or play down National Socialism or affiliated organizations,
- Clothing brands used by right-wing extremist groups to identify themselves,
- Items or content with references to extremist and/or anti-constitutional organizations.
IV. Intellectual property
Jimdo places particular emphasis on protecting the intellectual property of creatives. We will take action as soon as we become aware of violations of these types on Jimdo websites. Therefore, before publishing content, check that you are not breaching third-party intellectual property rights.
Protected intellectual property includes, in particular, as follows:
- Trademark rights,
- Patent rights,
- Design rights,
- The right to your own name and likeness.
V. Jimdo infrastructure
It’s vital that our platform runs flawlessly so that we can offer you and other users the best service possible. Therefore, we don’t tolerate any Jimdo websites that aim to do as follows:
- Subject Jimdo’s infrastructure, its systems, or networks linked to Jimdo services to disproportionate disruption (DoS or DDoS attacks),
- Otherwise interfere with or disrupt Jimdo’s services, servers, or networks,
- Access Jimdo’s services, user accounts, licensed content or user content by web scraping or web crawling,
- Bypass or disable the security measures taken to protect Jimdo’s services, systems or networks by hacking, password mining or any other illicit means,
- Interfere with Jimdo’s software, infiltrate Jimdo or its sub-contractors’ data networks,
- Transmit viruses, trojans or other malware to the platform,
- Scan and scrutinize Jimdo’s services, systems or networks, or associated networks, to identify any vulnerable areas or shortfalls in security,
- Purchase keywords for search engines, other pay-per-click keywords (such as Google Ads), or domain names that include the Jimdo brands, as well as variations or misspelt versions of Jimdo,
- Share your own user IDs and passwords, or other login data with third parties, or give these parties access to them.
VI. Content-related inquiries and taking down content
If violations have been discovered or reported, Jimdo will immediately act accordingly and take down the content concerned. Depending on the type and severity of the violation, in addition to disabling the website, Jimdo reserves the right to take legal action.
If we become aware of a violation, Jimdo will contact the operator of the website and inform them of the offending content. At the same time, we will require the website operator to remove the offending content straight away.
Should we receive no reply, and the content is not removed, we will take further steps, for example, to take down the website concerned. The website operator has a right of response, for example by e-mail.